Your dermatologist treats a wide variety of skin rashes. When you have an uncomfortable, itchy, irritated skin rash, it’s nice to know you can get help from an expert-your dermatologist.
What You Need To Know About Skin Rashes
There are many things which can cause a skin rash. Some of the most common causes include:
- Heat and humidity, which can develop into a rash that looks like pimples
- Allergic rashes, which can develop into a diffuse, red, itchy rash
- Medication-related rashes, which can develop into a diffuse rash covering large portions of your body
- Chemical exposure, which can develop into a non-itchy rash
- Eczema, which can develop into a rash in folds of skin, covering your torso, behind your knees, or on your neck and face
For a mild, occasional rash, you can try a few home treatments to get relief. You can use:
- Anti-itch creams, lotions, or sprays
- Oatmeal baths like Aveeno
- Topical and oral antihistamine medications
Your dermatologist should examine your skin rash and recommend treatment if your skin rash is:
- Getting worse
- Spreading to other areas of your body
- Accompanied by other symptoms, including fever, swelling, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, body aches, and difficulty swallowing
Your dermatologist will determine what is causing your rash. If your rash is related to an allergy, allergy testing may be recommended. Depending on what is causing your skin rash, the dermatologist may recommend:
- Prescription-strength oral and topical antihistamine medications to relieve itching
- Steroid medications to reduce swelling and inflammation
- Lotions or creams containing antibiotics or cortisone to eliminate infection and swelling
- Laser therapy to eliminate scaly patches caused by psoriasis, eczema, and other chronic conditions
Want To Learn More?
You don’t have to suffer from an uncomfortable, itchy skin rash when relief is just a phone call away. To find out more about the causes and treatments of skin rashes, talk with an expert. Call your dermatologist today.